Thursday, August 7, 2008

Why is the sky blue?

I remember when Brianna and Noah were tiny babies...I was so excited for them to say their first words. Then it was putting together those adorable understandable sentences and finally came the questions. When they are small the questions are a little more off the wall and your answers are less likely to warp their little brains. Well, unfortunately the cute days of "mom, why is the sky blue" are behind me and now I am starting to get the "mom, how does a baby get out of your belly." or "mom, how did you have a baby if your not married." and lastly the one that made me choke on my cookie today from Noah was "mom, what is gay?" Apparently, Noah is at the age where the little boys are calling each other gay in after school care. From that Noah and Brianna both have an understanding that being gay is a bad thing. I stood in the kitchen staring at them both trying to figure out how to explain this without stereotyping, misleading or seeming judgmental. Honestly, I still am not sure I addressed it correctly. I simply addressed the meaning of the word first which my elementary school description was when a women loves a women as a girlfriend and/or a man loves a man as a boyfriend. You could imagine the reaction from them both. I did not have a clue how else to describe it. I also did not want to come off like I was insulting the situation either. Wow, seriously....they need to provide classes for us parents on these questions. Anyhow, so Noah's next question was how come everyone is not gay and like that........Brianna's response was "because we are lucky". I guess I have to take into perspective the immaturity level of their brains at this moment and how this seems out of the ordinary to the conventional man/women relationships that they have been subject too. I think I handled it okay but cannot believe how choked up I got and lost for words. It would be so much easier to not address the situation and allow the world to address it for me but in my opinion that is the problem with a lot of relationship with parents and kids. The lines of communication starts younger then most realize. Allowing them to feel comfortable asking me all these uncomfortable questions is something I truly feel is important. Not to mention I am not sure I want to allow some of the ignorant people of this world help corrupt my children's brains. I would rather leave the corruption up to me. I mean isn't that the fun part of having a kid. You get one of your own to corrupt!!!! ;0)

So, we got passed that one and a while later Brianna is holding Brooke and thought because she was crying that she might be sick. She starts thinking and realizes you cannot really take the baby temperature in their mouth........so with a concerned look on her face she asks "mom, how do you take a babies temperature." I enjoyed answering this one. "IN THE BUTT". Of course she responded "Oh my GOD, did you do that to me." and I grinned "YUP!".

No comments:

SiteMeter